Thoughtful list by Brian Balfour, Hubspot’s VP of Growth:
- They don’t focus on retention first.
- They subscribe to “product is everything” mantra.
- They search for the silver bullet.
- They don’t focus.
- They don’t invest enough in data and analytics.
- They don’t run experiments… a lot of experiments.
- They don’t dig in and learn.
- They don’t double down.
- They don’t dedicate the right resources towards growth.
- They don’t change and adapt.
My only quibble is with point 6: growth experiments are pointless until you’ve a reasonably sane conversion rate — go with high impact hunches in the meanwhile.